Ellen

A Read in Progress

I love any and all books that just let me escape, but predominantly fiction & feel-good romances. I'm also on GoodReads (for now) at: LN B

It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7) - Jill Shalvis I can always count on this series to give me a few hours of gratifying reading ending with a smile on my face. There's something just easy about Jill Shalvis' style of writing, and more importantly about the characters and situations she writes about in this series. They all feature heroes and heroines and family relationships and friendships that really to come to life; I can picture these people as real, complicated, three-dimensional, flawed but lovely people. I can envision the places and conversations that are going on; it's all just the right, wonderful blend of description and dialogue.

In this particular story I found it refreshing that, though our heroine's childhood was less-than-ideal, she had a mom who made the best if it and was good. Too many books -- particularly New Adult -- present a character background as over-the-top and one-dimensional: you grew up in a trailer park? Enough said, your parents must have been abusive alcoholics... Not so, in Jill's writing; everything isn't that simplistically black and white in life, nor in Lucky Harbor.

Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty simple, feel-good romances where girl meets boy, learns or does something that enacts change in her life, thus turning a page with said boy for happy ending. So, it'll never be more than a solid 'Really liked it' for me; I don't think the contemporary romance genre really seeks to be anything more than that for anyone. But within that genre, this series is as good as it gets, in my opinion. I liked some of the first 3 the best, but once you're in the series, each one is a lovely return to a comfortable place you can't help but be happy about seeing again. A good read.